Sunday, January 29, 2017

THE ART OF JOURNALING


An Article by Sophie Gregory

There are a multitude of scientific advantages to keeping a journal – the stress
reduction, the self-discipline and the improvement to your memory. However,
keeping a journal is a lot more than health benefits. In fact, I would argue that it’s
an art.
The pages of your journal, whether you’ve gone for lined, plain or even dotted,
are yours and they are blank. You can do with them whatever you choose to do
with them. Art has always been one of those subjects at school that you’re either
good at or you’re not and this is why journals are so important. There is no way
to be ‘good’ at journaling; it is an intensely personal thing. In this way, it is an
unrestricted art that can’t be subjected to criticism and that makes it liberating,
especially for those of us who feel we can’t be creative as we can only draw stick
men.
Like more traditional arts, journaling requires discipline, it requires basic
materials and it requires the motivation to write (or list, or doodle); but once
these things are in place, it is incredibly rewarding. What you create is something
absolutely unique. The way you have chosen to fill those pages is down to you
alone – it is a reflection of yourself. This is why I journal and it’s become so much
more popular in a world where we have no time to stop and evaluate our
feelings.




For me, journaling is a means of reflecting on my day, of holding myself to
account and of maintaining some creativity in amongst the daily grind. Not only
do I get to work through my emotions on paper, rather than becoming
overwhelmed by things I simply haven’t had time to address, I also get to do it in
a way that’s best for me. My journals are, at best, inconsistent. They contain
receipts, writing, petals, drawings and photographs. Anything I can stick in the
journal, goes in the journal. These little things get stuck down and act as ways to
trigger my memories, to bring back details of days that I had forgotten. It can be
good and it can be really bad but I’m glad I’ve written it down so I can look back
at it and assess how far I’ve come (and how far I have to go).
Maybe it’s because it’s because we are all a little self-obsessed, but journaling is
fulfilling because it helps you to understand your own feelings and then to
understand others’. It’s a way of capturing yourself in that very moment, on that
day.

Of course, journaling doesn’t have to be serious (I mainly use mine to write down
bitchy things I can’t say in person) but it can be and that’s the great thing about
it. You define it, you create it, you choose it – it’s your art.




No comments:

Post a Comment