Sunday, November 20, 2016

GIFT SHOP HACK FOR THE BROKE ART LOVER

Every gallery visit without fail, I spend about an hour and a half in the gift shop deciding whether or not I really need a giant rubber band ball or a dish towel with Frida Khalo's face on it. Ngl It really does get awkward - especially when you've been in the only one at the store for ages and the cashier is looking like you like when the hell are you going to buy something. Upon self reflection and snide commentary -courtesy of friends who have had the opportunity to accompany me to gift shops- I have learned that I truly truly am an indecisive person.

After about an hour in the store, the window for just "browsing" has pretty much deteriorated and it occurs to me that I actually have to buy something now otherwise I will look like a total crazy person. Drumroll & enter postcards. Honestly postcards are gift from the art lords. I make it a point to get at least 3 from every gallery I visit. It's great because my bank statement suggests I can't really afford to buy original art right now and so post cards are really the  only best option financially. 

I usually stick them all over the walls of my dorm room  for inspiration (bye bye deposit) and now some of my friends actually go out of their way to get me some whenever they get the chance! I thought I would show you guys a few of my favourites from my growing collection.

Enjoy!
Eme



 Chemistry Fume Cabinet, Thomas Struth 2010



 Love XI, John Stezaker 2006
Pinta es como Golpear, EQUIPO CRONICA 1972


 photography by Barbara Kruger


Frida Khalo, Manuel Alvarez Bravo 1930
Ohne Titel, Jean-Michel Basquiat 1983

No comments:

Post a Comment