Thursday, October 6, 2016

CELEBRATE BLACKNESS REVIEW


Hello All, Steph here.

So so so, as a newly enrolled student of the well-talked about University of the Arts London (UAL), I am eager to explore all the art avenues and experiences it has to offer, which must be quite a bit judging from the name of the uni ya know. Anywho, It's October! While yes we're all raving about halloween and what we're going to go dressed as (probably a sexy minion yes?) some of us are out there honouring black history month! And the student union at the university is part of this "us" and thus held a private exhibition at the gorgeous Central Saint Martin college of UAL to that cause. The exhibition showcased a small but energetic collection of work done exclusively by black students of the university, titling the exhibition "Celebrating Blackness".

At the first mention of this, I was buzzing. The uni is known to produce some of the most prominent members of the fashion and art world with an impressive alumni consisting of the likes of Alexander McQueen, Stella McCartney and Zac Posen. So the work was no doubt going to be top level but knowing that it was going to be specifically black-targeted I was excited to see the socio-political context of the work and sure enough there was a yummy splash of just that.

I'll briefly discuss some of the pieces and what I took away from them:



1)

Pardon the poor picture quality (and I call myself a photographer). This was one of my I wouldn't say favourite but definitely most striking. In context it may seem kinda basic but nonetheless stunning, with beautifully hand designed graphic text, with rich colours and afrocentric patterns and also a great use of negative space. So maybe not so basic. As I soon saw this set I thought of Amandla Stenberg's famous quote "Don't cash crop my corn rows" obviously addressing the idea that Black culture is endlessly appropriated and enjoyed by non-black members of our community especially while these same members don't concern themselves with black issues and mostly prefer not even to acknowledge that they exist. "What? Racism? What's that? Discrimination? Oh stop it, this isn't the 1500's". So this reminded me of exactly that. I saw it as kinda of list of hair styles that belong to us AKA do not steal. 

2)

Next up Chizitalu Uwechia's set (this presentation isn't great I agree but the work is!). I generally just love the colours and how graphic this was. It also communicates some of the vibey characteristics of Black Girl Magic being one with nature and all and having great taste in music and fashion as these lovely subjects seem to have. Doesn't that bottom chick look kinda like Slick Woods a majorly magical Black girl?

3)
On to the next one *Jay Z voice*. I love love love this painting. This covers more than one set of people that are often not represented in media, black people of course and plus sized women. I love the use of colour and tones to highlight their curves and the way it embraces their nudity but doesn't sexualise it. It is a message of sisterhood and self love. Also the lovely and also afrocentric cloth that borders the bottom of the image is so gorg.

4)

I don't particularly feel anything strong about this piece but I love the fact that it's mixed media and monochromatic. 

Well that's basically it. I'm completely in love with my uni and I will keep feeding you with lots and lots from my uni's art scene so look out. Thanks for reading x. 

No comments:

Post a Comment