Sunday, September 3, 2017

IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YOU KNOW


Hi guys it's Eme here & I'd like to believe someone out there actually cares about my opinion & I'm not just talking to myself. Even if you don't particularly care (tragic), can't hurt to give this post a look? *please*

As you can see from my straightforward title, I'm going to talk about 8 artists I really really like/ think you should know if you don't already. I think this post will give you an insight into the kind of art I gravitate towards. I have quite a varied selection of artists on the list: young, old, famous, not famous, up and coming. Nevertheless, all incredibly talented artists that I'm excited for you guys to discover as well.




1. OLUSEYE

First off, Oluseye; an artist who utilises Yoruba mythology and geometric form to create stunning portraiture in the exploration of themes such as sexuality, spirituality as well as identity. I'm particularly fond of his focus on the black male face and his confident use of angular line. I discovered him randomly on Instagram and I've been hooked ever since! His work is strikingly beautiful.

A post shared by OLUSEYE (@lavishbat) on

A post shared by OLUSEYE (@lavishbat) on


2. VICTOR EHIKHAMENOR

Victor Ehikhamenor has some of the most unique pieces I've come across. His style is bold and distinctive drawing inspiration from traditional African motifs and wall paintings/installations in community shrines. His pieces are definitely not ones to disappear in the background. I admire the boldness of them and how they almost always tend to ignite stimulating conversation. Aside from being an incredible artist,  he has a terrific personality (I met him at a networking event and he confirmed our strong standing friendship) & his captions on Instagram food posts just might be a work of art on their own

Thunder Can Break FANFARE of drums, wooden bells: iron chapter; And our dividing airs are gathered home. This day belong to a miracle of thunder; Iron has carried the forum With token gestures. Thunder has spoken, Left no signatures: broken Barbaricans alone tell one tale the winds scatter. Mountain or tower in sight, lo, your hostages - Iron has made, alas, masterpieces - Statuettes of legendary heroes - iron birds Held - fruit of flight - tight For barricaded in iron handiwork a miracle caged. Bring them out we say, bring them out Faces and hands and feet, The stories behind the myth, the plot Which the ritual enacts. Thunder can break - Earth, bind me fast - Obduracy, the disease of elephants. - Christopher Okigbo #christopherokigbo #thundercanbreak #bringthemout #poetry #okigboonmymind #lagos #nigeria
A post shared by Victor Ehikhamenor (@victorsozaboy) on



3. ELLY SMALLWOOD

I am particularly drawn to Elly's expressive approach to painting. If there was one word I could use to describe her paintings it would probably be "emotion". There is something incredible about the way her use of deep hues and confident brush strokes captures intense emotion in a single portrait. I also love that she mostly works large scale- it ties in well with the expressive paintings to give more fuel to the impact on the viewer.



A post shared by Elly Smallwood (@ellysmallwood) on

A post shared by Elly Smallwood (@ellysmallwood) on

4. SONIA KATIMI

I rarely ever social media stalk people. I rarely ever admit to social media stalking people but in this case, I must share. I randomly came across Sonia's Instagram and instantly fell in love with her exciting style- especially when it comes to her portraiture. In my opinion, her pieces are particularly good at capturing specific characters and personalities. She's definitely one to watch out for!


A post shared by The Memory Keepers Daughter (@almondmilk_kitten) on


A post shared by The Memory Keepers Daughter (@almondmilk_kitten) on

5. MIMI SHODEINDE

You might have probably heard of her in relation to her unique approach towards furniture design.  If she wasn't talented enough in that department- she's also an incredible painter. Admittedly, I haven't  seen that many paintings from her but judging from what I have seen, I don't need to- I'm sold! What really drew me to her series "Iwa" was how experimental it was- the pieces are textured with sand, tissue, and salt. The end result is a truly exciting piece of work. You can tell she's not afraid to push boundaries and do things a little differently.


A post shared by Miminat Designs • London (@miminat_designs) on


6. DONALD ROBERTSON

This is definitely one you're going to love or hate but I will probably judge you if you fall into the latter category.  Donald's art has proved to be extremely successful particularly within the beauty and fashion industry- scoring collaborations with the likes of Smash Box, J Crew and Bergdorf Goodman. His work is colorful, exciting and fun! Definitely a 2017 Warhol. Not to mention he has the cutest kids.


A post shared by Donald Robertson (@drawbertson) on

A post shared by Donald Robertson (@drawbertson) on


7. BUNMI AGUSTO
One of the most talented young artists I've come across. We were lucky enough to do a GTK with her which you can check out here. I've only followed her work for a short while, but she's quickly become one of my favourites. I'm a big fan of her expressive portraits- particularly how she portrays them in unconventional shapes/form as well as how she incorporates fabric into the mix. I am very very excited to see what she has in store!


A post shared by Art By Bunmi Agusto (@studioagusto) on



8. NDIDI EMEFIELE
 Last but definitely not least! Steph and I have been opportune to see her paintings in the fleshand they are absolutely stunning.  I especially love that she has a focus on the black woman, a subject that is commonly disregarded in the larger society. There is something about the women she portrays that really captivate your attention. Her work communicates the variations of what a black woman can be- ultimately suggesting that there shouldn't be a standard but rather as a society we need to come together and recognise individuality of women and embrace the beauty in that variation. Truly iconic.


A post shared by Ndidi Emefiele (@ndidi_emefiele) on

A post shared by Ndidi Emefiele (@ndidi_emefiele) on

No comments:

Post a Comment