Sunday, December 4, 2016

Julia Ryng: Not a Perfectionist

Hello Lovelies Eme here!

Back at it again with someone you need to GTK. Meet Julia Ryng! (who fyi was the girl who I painted in the Alexa Meade tribute ). Read about my interview with Julia and have a look at some of her gorgeous doodles. Enjoy xxx






Eme: So Julia...

Julia: First of all, It's Jay.

E: So Jay...

J: Thankyou.

E: Tell me a little bit about yourself, some background if you will.

J: So basically, I was raised by a single mother and then during my childhood she died via hunter so basically I was the story in...what's that movie with the deer?

E: Bambi?

J: Yeah.



E: I almost believed that.

E: How did you get into art in the first place? At what point did you realise it was something you were interested in?

J: It probably started in kindergarten. I was always quite good at drawing in all the art sessions. Funny story, there was this one art competition for like 5/6 year olds to draw this Polish cartoon character. I drew it and it was so good you would think I was the illustrator. We put it into the competition but they thought an adult drew it so I got disqualified.

E: Wow.

E: When did you start drawing these really intricate patterns?

J: So I did my first one... I think, summer 2015 when I was just preparing for uni. I wanted some cool stuff for my dorm wall. So I just started doodling whilst I was watching TV. It's very simple and relaxing to do even. I quite like the ones I've done with triangles. Triangles are my favourite shape. No illuminati comments please.

E: How do you have the patience to do them?

J: I feel like it doesn't really require that much patience. Once you get the hang of it you just kind of do it. Every single one is different. Some are really quick. Some take longer just cause they have more detail.



E: So you say you started this just last summer. Do you usually do intricate drawings in general? How did you perfect this craft?

J: Well I did art in high school & I was quite good at that. I did a lot of drawing in my free time when I was bored or just to wind down and relax so i guess I got better each time I practiced.

E: Is there anything/anyone that inspires your artistic preferences.

J: I don't really know a lot of artists per se... I appreciate the art itself more. I mostly just enjoy things I see in every day life, like calligraphy on labels or architecture. I like geometry and symmetry. Do you know any Wes Anderson movies?

E: Yeah like Grand Budapest Hotel? I love that movie.

J: I love the way it's made because everything on the set is so symmetrical and the film itself- like how its directed and edited, I feel gives of that kind of vibe? I've never been one for messy artists. I need the final product of my work have a clean finish. I also think Gaudi is an incredible architect. I was in Spain recently and was fascinated by how he incorporates nature into his buildings. 


J: Also I'm quite envious of people who work for Pixar.

E: Lets expand on this cause I know you are a Pixar fan girl.

J: I know, i hate being a fan girl of Pixar though because their just another cooperation that benefits of child consumers. But at least they make people happy. I feel like every single movie of theirs is consistently good. I feel like a Pixar job is so artistic and yet so technical. You do something that's interesting yet quite niche. Not many people can animate.

E: Do you have a favourite work of art?

J: Ooh this is so difficult. Maybe Grand Budapest Hotel again? I also really like Salvadore Dali. Ooooh Picasso as well . I love cubism. Love the geometry.


E: Your work seems to have this aura of perfectionism due to the intricacy of the drawings- How do you think this transfers to your life? Would you say you are a perfectionist?

J: Oh God, this is so deep. Well, perfectionism is so boring though. Everyone is a perfectionist. I mean I know on a surface level I am a perfectionist when it comes to my work but I try not identify as one. I wouldn't see my art as perfectionism. I see it more as geometry and symmetry working together. Who gets to say what is and what isn't perfectionism? Who says perfectionism has to be symmetry? Everyone has different ideals about what perfectionism is. I see my art as just a nice, relaxing way to relieve myself of all the chaos that happens in the world.





2 comments:

  1. So good! I would love to see some of your other housemates featured as well...................

    ReplyDelete