Monday, July 25, 2016

LIGHT WORKS

I actually happened to be walking to the post office when I randomly stumbled across the wonderful Whitechapel gallery. Funny how often I stumble upon reasons to procrastinate from things I really need to be doing...

I had heard of this gallery before but never really paid much attention to it. So the fact that I had randomly stumbled upon it was nothing short of a sign that I needed to explore.




There were several of exhibitions going on, but one in particular by a Keith Sonnier really grasped my attention. It was called ‘Light Works’. It truly was a captivating display. Sonnier enchants spectators with a mesmerizing combination of light and colour. He then successfully contrasts the sensual ambiance of the piece through utilizing themes of geometry as well as creating a relationship between his light pieces and the existing architecture.






Something about it speaks to my present youth. It exudes something young, fresh and exciting. Perhaps the minimalism of the piece reminds me of the futuristic times which are ever so quickly approaching? Or maybe the neon lights remind me of clubbing lol. Either way, this is one exhibition I’m loving right now and if you haven’t yet, you should definitely check it out!

-Eme 

No comments:

Post a Comment